The Bitter Drop is a long-form Interactive Fiction with features of CYOA and hypertext. Character interaction, relationships and romance are given a prominent place. The chief mechanics are player-driven choices and investigation of the environment and clues to the truth behind Svet Dmitrin's ruling elite through text descriptions, hints and red herrings.
Itinerant Rabbi Chaim Shlomovich Vidal and his pupils, the bigender horror writer Lev Venyaminovich/Lyubov Venyaminovna and the witch Mogila Borisovna Balshemnik arrive in Svet-Dmitrin, the capital of a crumbling empire. They stay with one Anzu Tamiratovich Menelik, a necromancer dandy with more than skeletons in his closet. As the days pass and Lev recovers from a recent stint on a psych ward, Anzu and Lev grow closer; Anzu shows Lev around the city and the two of them stumble on a horrifying, eldritch truth about the current Czar and his White Guard. Following this lead will cost them dear.
- "A hybrid of hypertext and CYOA text games, The Bitter Drop features annotations and asides that provide greater context to the story told."
- "A lush, complex narrative with vibrant, fleshed out characters."
- "Player actions are genuinely impactful: explore the potential of the narrative via making choices when playing as the protagonist, a failed rabbi, mystic and horror fiction writer."
- "A narrative told from a unique perspective, with a heartfelt exploration of themes of disability, gender variance, queerness and cultural identity."
- "A fantastic setting in the tradition of New Weird fiction."
Developer's Previous Achievements
- "ECTOCOMP 2017" - dripping with the waters of SHEOL, #2
The Bitter Drop Early Bird Pre-Order Sale
Buy the game now at a 50% discount and receive access to all future editions of it! https://goo.gl/Bc1inE.
More IF by Isak Grozny grrozny.itch.io.
About Isak Grozny
An indie creator making Interactive Fiction.
Isak Grozny was born in the USSR. He now lives in Edinburgh, UK. Of mixed Russian, Tatar and Ashkenazi descent, he rediscovered his Jewish roots in the 2010s and started practising Judaism soon after. He is a transsexual, originally coming out as a man in 2010. He chooses to label himself as a gay man, and finds much to honour and be glad about in gay history and culture. His other interests include mythology, comparative religion, biology and storytelling.
Writer, Narrative Designer